Tuesday 17 January 2017

New Year's Resolutions

I've already made a youtube video about this idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LrKLcKfVFI but I just thought I'd write a blog post as well because sometimes it's easier to get your thoughts down in writing.

2016 was an amazing year - probably the best year of my life. I done so many fun things and finally started doing things that made me happy rather than trying to please other people. I started worrying less about silly things and started living more in the present rather than focusing on things that had happened in the past, or worrying about the future (a major part of anxiety).

I mentioned in the video that it was the first year I just stopped waiting around for 'tomorrow' or 'next week' and just started as soon as I could. I saved for a camera by doing endless amounts of online surveys, sold clothes and kept any money I was given - and it paid off! I had wanted a camera for so long and to finally have one made me so happy. I took loads of pictures in 2016 and I'm so glad I now have the memories to look back on. All i'm trying to say is that if you really want something, you can make it happen. I can't remember where I heard this but ever since I did it has really stuck with me - 'you create your own reality'.

Although 2016 was an amazing year, it also had its downfalls. I've talked a little about having anxiety as last year was when it really got bad, and controlled me 24/7. I never realized just how bad it was until I came out the other end of it. Every single second of every day was spent worrying about the most minuscule of details. When I came to the realization that something needed to be done, I started going to the school councillor which helped an unbelievable amount. She taught me techniques to get rid of a panic attack before it takes over, but most importantly it gave me a time to vent out everything I was feeling, and really helped put things into perspective. I still have my bad days, but overall, I am really proud of how well I've managed it.

Rather than setting myself resolutions that I feel I have to stick to, I'd rather set goals of things I would like to achieve, as I think it's a bit more realistic. Here are my 2017 goals:
  • Go on more walks and spend more time outdoors in general
  • Explore more of Ireland
  • Do more yoga and learn about spirituality and mindfulness
  • Read more
  • Stop using my phone as a security blanket at social events and live more in the present
  • Take even more pictures
What are your goals for 2017? Let me know! And also, I'd really appreciate if you subscribed to my youtube channel as I would love for it to grow more in 2017! I have a lot of fun video ideas!

xo, Orlagh





SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hi Orlagh,
    I have a MASSIVE favour to ask!! Would you mind looking at my latest post (link: http://littlemissbloggerxxx.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-author-role.html) and having a go at the activity suggested, commenting below? Obviously you get some self pro-mo with the activity, and I think it would encourage my readers who never comment to have a go! Thanks! Is there anything I can do to return the favour? It would mean the world to me if you would do this!
    Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete

© The Fashion Student. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig