Friday 10 November 2017

My First Fashion Memory

My first strong memory of fashion that I can recall is at chapel. I’m struggling to pinpoint an exact age, but I couldn’t have been very old – around 5 or 6.

Where I’m from, (and I believe this is generally the case with Irish Catholics in general) going to Sunday mass was the best opportunity for mothers and wives to dress to impress and wear their Sunday best, as there wasn’t really any other opportunity to do that in a town where nothing ever really happened.

I had no interest whatsoever in God or Catholicism at that age – I don’t think any 5 year old does to be completely honest. The only thing that made mass remotely enjoyable was gawking at all the fancy, designer clothes that everyone was parading around in on their way to get communion.

It’s the first time I got excited about fashion and style, quickly becoming more and more intrigued by the different patterns and textures.


While everyone else’s parents had to keep their children quiet with cars and Barbie dolls, I was quietly fascinated with fancy dresses. 

It was like my own personal fashion show every Sunday.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Fashion Student. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig